What are cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your web browser by websites you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows us or a third-party to recognise you and make your next visit easier and more useful to you.
Why are cookies essential to Santander's websites?
None of the cookies we use collect your personal information and they can’t be used to identify you.
Types of cookies
The length of time a cookie stays on your device depends on its type. We use two types of cookies on our websites.
- Session cookies are temporary cookies which only exist during the time you use the website (or more strictly, until you close the browser after using the website). Session cookies help our websites remember what you chose on the previous page, avoiding the need to re-enter information.
- Persistent cookies stay on your device after you’ve visited our website. For example, if you tick the 'Remember my ID' box when you log onto Online Banking a persistent cookie will be used so that the site remembers your choice the next time you use it. Persistent cookies help us identify you as a unique visitor but don’t contain information that could be used to identify you to another person.
- If you ever ask us to ‘Remember my ID’ to allow you to logon more easily, we’ll use a cookie to enable this functionality.
- Tag our public website and for the purposes of measuring the effectiveness of our digital marketing
- Contact customers who do not complete an application they’ve started
- For other services such as our branch locator
- To understand when customers think about applying for new products or services using Online Banking and our Mobile app
How to control and delete cookies?
If you want to restrict or block the cookies we set, you can do this through your browser settings. The ‘help’ function for your particular browser should tell you how.
www.aboutcookies.org contains comprehensive information on cookies for a wide variety of browsers and how to delete cookies them from your computer. To learn about controlling cookies on the browser of your mobile device please refer to your handset manual.
- To see more information about what cookies we use and why please click here: xxxx
- To find out more about cookies you can visit ICO.org